Texas 88th Legislative Session - Ends May 29th, 2023
During the legislative session, things move quickly, and the actions we can take change every day. Visit our partner pages below to learn more information about what actions you can take.
Texas Freedom Network: Legislative Session Action Center
The ACLU of Texas: Legislative Action Hub
DFPS Council Meetings - Several dates throughout 2023
Once again, we are seeking volunteers to provide public comment by sharing the collected testimonies of transgender children and their parents during this meeting or simply be physically present to fill a seat and pack the room. Equality Texas and our coalition partners will provide you with the testimony to read in order to protect the identities of transgender children and their families from being targeted by DFPS.
If you are a transgender youth, a parent or guardian of a transgender youth, or an impacted professional who works with transgender youth (healthcare providers, teachers), we invite you to share your testimony in the form below for a volunteer to read. As we did at previous meetings, we are working to safeguard the identities of impacted Texans who would like to make their voices heard but, for their own safety, cannot testify in person.
Actions You Can Take From Anywhere
Although the state’s actions are not legally binding, we’re already seeing their devastating impact on transgender Texans and their families. Here’s what you can do to push back:
- Text the word Texas to 472-472 to call Greg Abbott and remind him that providing children life-saving, medically necessary healthcare is parenting at its best. Transgender youth deserve loving and affirming homes.
Send a message to DFPS urging them to listen to the consensus of every credible medical association and protect transgender kids and parental rights.
- Add joy to the world and declare your love and commitment to trans folks by writing a Love Letter to trans Texans from the Transgender Education Network of Texas
Businesses can sign the Texas Competes pledge here (for free) to promote a competitive Texas that is welcoming for LGBTQ people
- Attorneys can sign up to give affordable legal help to trans youth and their families
- Pledge to fight for trans youth in Texas by signing this petition
- Use the hashtag #protecttranskids on social media