If you have been contacted by CPS or have reason to think that an investigation has been opened against you, you have a right to legal counsel and can contact the Lambda Legal Help Desk.
If you are an attorney and would like to offer your services to represent families and others threatened with investigations, fill out this form.
To learn more about becoming a member at PFLAG you can click here
- DFPS investigation FAQ for Parents from the Transgender Education Network of Texas and the Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund.
- Parent Resource Folder from the Transgender Education Network of Texas which includes tips about safe folders, a card your kid can carry in case they’re approached by CPS alone, information about recent federal actions to support trans Texans, and more.
- File a complaint with the federal government if your child’s healthcare has been interrupted by a clinic, hospital, or medical provider(s). Please also file a complaint if CPS is threatening to interfere with care as well.
Remember, if CPS contacts you:
- Even if an intake specialist shows up at your door, you don't have to let them in and can schedule for a later date. This will give you time to get legal representation and make sure they’re in the initial call.
- Immediately contact Lambda Legal for a referral to pro bono attorneys.
- Do not hand over your safe folder or sign any documents authorizing the release of private information. Do not talk about healthcare your child is receiving.
- Make sure your child knows that they do not have to speak to anyone from CPS, even if they’re approached at school.
Disclaimer: No part of this webpage constitutes legal advice. Please contact Lambda Legal if you need legal counsel.
Mental Health Resources
The below list of resources was developed in September 2021 and some information may be subject to change. By providing the resources below, we cannot vouch for these programs and some crisis hotlines may contact 911 or first responders when required to under the law. With that said, we hope these resources are useful and that you can find the help that you need.
LGBTQIA+ specific hotlines
- LGBTQ+ National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
- Trevor Project Lifeline: 1-866-488-7386
- Trans Lifeline: 1-877-565-8860
- LGBT National Hotline: 1-888-843-4564
General crisis hotlines
- Crisis TextLine – Text “START” to 741-741
- Teen Line - 1-800 -TLC-TEEN, Text "TEEN" to 839863
- Texas Youth Helpline - 1-800-989-6884
- National Domestic Violence Hotline – 1-800-799-7233
- National Sexual Assault Hotline – 1-800-656-4673
- National Drug and Alcohol Treatment Hotline - 1-844-289-0879
- National Runaway Safeline – 1-800-786-2929
Other sites to visit for help
LGBTQIA+ Organizations in Texas
- Black Trans Advocacy Coalition
- Black Trans Men Inc.
- Black Trans Women Inc.
- Human Rights Campaign
- LGBT Law Section, State Bar of Texas
- Organización Latina de Trans en Texas
- Texas Competes
- Texas Freedom Network
- Texas GSA Network
- Texas Transgender Alliance Resource Guide
- Texas Transgender Nondiscrimination Summit
- Trans-Cendence International, Inc.
- Trans Pride Initiative
- DFW Trans Kids and Families
- North Texas Gay and Lesbian Alliance
- PFLAG Dallas
- Resource Center
- Women and LGBT Center at SMU
- Gender Infinity
- Hatch Youth
- The Houston Intersex Society
- LGBT Resource Center at University of Houston
- Montrose Center
- Montrose Grace Place
- PFLAG Houston
- Trans Legal Aid Clinic-Houston